I have recently launched a new website snapvocab on the AWS cloud. This hands-on experience allowed me to practice what I learned in the AWS Cloud Developer Certification. After long hours working on it - more than I expected, I can tell you it was worth it. Nothing can ever replace having our hands dirty!
From a functional point of view, it is simply a CRUD application that allows a user to manage a list of words with a paid plan. On the technical side, my goal was to leverage AWS services to go live as soon as possible and at a lower cost.
Main design choices:
- Serverless because who wants to manage servers? ;-)
- Stripe, as a payment platform, because of its "no-code" modules that allow to start quickly and accept payments manually.
- Direct access to the database from the browser for simplicity.
- Amplify UI to handle authentication flows seamlessly with Cognito.
- CDK for provisioning the cloud resources with a programming language.